The Program Management Office (PMO) is an internal business advisory unit that provides technical, organizational, and process services to the UCSF campus. The PMO's team includes a lineup of skilled consulting professionals with decades of experience in both the public and private sectors. Our Project Managers come to UCSF from some of the top consulting firms in the country, and all bring specialized expertise in the field of higher education. The PMO’s staff provide our clients with objective advice and assistance relating to strategy, structure, management and operations in pursuit of specific long-term purposes and objectives. The PMO prides itself on helping managers "put the pieces together" on prjoects that entail complex logistical, technological, financial, and management factors.
The PMO works with schools and central leaders and their department staff to implement both campus-wide and unit-specific operational improvements. Since its establishment in 2002, the PMO has supported large-scale systems implementation, strategic planning, organizational development and process improvement at UCSF. The PMO is proud to provide high quality advice and assistance that supports campus leaders in achieving their goals.
Why Opt for In-House Consulting?
While external consultants can often contribute exceptional value to a project or initiative, in-house consultants, such as the PMO, offer a number of built-in advantages.
- Understanding of UCSF – Whereas external consultants must spend valuable time and energy learning the campus’ structure, priorities, and culture, PMO staff arrive with a robust existing base of knowledge and experience at UCSF.
- Familiarity with stakeholders – Over a decade of managing large-scale campus projects, PMO staff have developed relationships with various stakeholders across UCSF, and can leverage existing relationships to help gather critical information, guide communications, and expedite project timelines.
- Expertise in UCSF-specific business processes – Our staff are particularly well-suited to UCSF project needs thanks to our deep familiarity with and experience interacting with a variety of campus-specific business processes and systems.
- Knowledge stays within UCSF – Lessons learned by the PMO while working on UCSF projects are retained in the department and used to inform and improve future efforts
- Lower overall cost – Our rates are all but guaranteed to be lower than those of comparable private sector consulting firms.
How can the PMO help you?
- Assistance in clearly defining the issues you face and support in developing strategies to address them
- Getting from point A to point B: structure and planning to take concepts from an idea to an implementable roadmap
- Redesign processes to reduce waste and improve service
- Help managing change
- Expertise in managing a group process that entails analysis, recommendations and decision-making in a group setting
- Feasible recommendations informed by institutional knowledge and experience with UCSF’s people, culture, systems, processes, and policies