The Program Management Office (PMO) is an internal business advisory unit that provides technical, organizational, and process services to the UCSF campus. The PMO team includes a lineup of skilled consulting professionals with decades of experience in both the public and private sectors. Our Project Managers come to UCSF from some of the top consulting firms in the country, and all bring specialized expertise in the field of higher education.PMO’s staff provides our clients with objective advice and assistance relating to strategy, structure, management and operations in pursuit of specific long-term purposes and objectives.
PMO works with department and central leaders and staff to implement both campus-wide and unit-specific operational improvements. Since its establishment in 2002, PMO has supported large-scale systems implementation, strategic planning, organizational development and process improvement at UCSF. PMO is proud to provide the high quality advice and assistance that supports campus leaders in achieving their goals.
Why Opt for In-House Consulting?
While external consultants can often contribute exceptional value to a project or initiative, in-house consultants, such as PMO, offer a number of built-in advantages.
- Understanding of UCSF – Whereas external consultants must spend valuable time and energy learning the campus’ structure, priorities, and culture, PMO consultants arrive with a robust existing base of knowledge and experience at UCSF.
- Familiarity with stakeholders – Over a decade of managing large-scale campus projects, PMO consultants have developed relationships with various stakeholders across UCSF, and can leverage existing relationships to help gather critical information, guide communications, and expedite project timelines.
- Expertise in UCSF-specific business processes – Our consultants are particularly well-suited to UCSF project needs thanks to our deep familiarity with and experience interacting with a variety of campus-specific business processes and systems.
- Knowledge stays within UCSF – The lessons learned by PMO consultants while working on UCSF projects are retained in the department and used to inform and improve future efforts
- Lower overall cost – Our rates are all but guaranteed to be lower than those of comparable private sector consulting firms.
How can the PMO help you?
- Assistance in clearly defining the issues they are facing and developing strategies to address those issues
- Guidance in “getting from point A to point B”: providing structure to their thinking, scoping their efforts, and laying out the steps to achieve desired outcomes
- Help improving processes to reduce waste and improve service
- Help managing change
- Expertise in managing a group process that entails analysis, recommendations and decision-making in a group setting
- Institutional knowledge and experience of UCSF’s people, culture, systems, processes, and policies
Please Note: The Program Management Office is currently in the process of revising this website. Because of this, some links on the site may temporarily be out of service. We appreciate your patience during this brief transition, and expect the new and improved website to be finalized and ready for your use by early December, 2014.